question: Ubuntu code of conduct and licensing of documentation/website

Jordan Mantha laserjock at ubuntu.com
Fri Sep 18 14:06:26 BST 2009

On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 8:05 AM, Daniel Villarreal
<youcanlinux at gmail.com> wrote:
> Before I sign the Ubuntu code of conduct online, I have a question.
>
> I have a website and I've used the GNU Free Documentation License
> (http://www.gnu.org/licenses/fdl-1.3.txt). If I sign the Ubuntu code of
> conduct, would I be expected to change the licensing over to the Creative
> Commons ShareAlike 3.0 License (CC-BY-SA) as per
> https://help.ubuntu.com/legal.html ? I am asking because I want to be sure
> of what is expected of me in regards to how I license what I do.

The licensing issue shouldn't really prevent you from signing the Code
of Conduct or from participating in the Ubuntu project. However, since
the Ubuntu Documentation Team needs to have a uniform licensing policy
for all it's documentation, any information you put on the wiki at
help.ubuntu.com must be/will be licensed CC-BY-SA. If the GFDL work is
your own you could contribute it to the wiki as CC-BY-SA and still
keep your website GFDL. If it is other people's GFDL work that you
wanted to contribute to the wiki then you should consult with the
Ubuntu Documentation Team (#ubuntu-docs on IRC or ubuntu-doc mailing
list).

In any case, I hope that answers you question sufficently. Thanks for
the question and I hope you find contributing to Ubuntu/Edubuntu fun
and rewarding.

-Jordan Mantha (aka LaserJock)