Edubuntu additions for public libraries

Darrell Eifert darrelleifert at myfairpoint.net
Sat May 23 15:00:07 BST 2009

Hi Ron --

Thanks for the response.  Our patrons will be using the clients in full
"personal computer" mode.  Full media Internet, Office, graphics, "plug
in my camera and send pics of the new grandchild", and more.

I've heard about Sabayon and Pessulus, and they would probably work for
security, along perhaps with some way of installing a fresh Home
directory from an archived master each time a patron logs in.

Our real need is for some kind of time and ticket management system.
Right now we offer 7 computers for our patrons  (with 1 hour timers) and
5 computers for guests (with 20 minute timers).  Our current WinXP time
management system allows us to:

1) see from a central screen which computers are available and the time
remaining on each computer
2) set each computer to either the one hour pool or 20 minute pool in
order to adjust for busy times in either group
3) generate a block of printed login / password tickets allowing a
patron to log in for a timed session at any machine
4) each login is good for one use, with the password database growing
and shrinking as the passwords are generated and used up
5) take a screenshot of any computer in the pools, allowing us if
necessary to monitor Internet use that does not conform to our policies

Imagine 25 people waiting impatiently to use 12 computers, and the need
for some kind of system to provide fair and equitable use becomes
apparent pretty quickly.  I would estimate that most libraries that have
more than one or two public-use computers are actively looking for a
computer-manged solution.

BTW, I recently did a talk at my State library conference on "Linux in
Libraries".  I gave a short list what someone considering a Linux
solution for public-use workstations will face:

Library patrons in general do not care about the principles of 'free
software'. When using a computer, they want:

To create a resume from a file stored on a 10-year old floppy disk
To download and view pictures of their new grandchild
To connect a camera and upload pictures of the new baby
To watch and listen to news / current events / popular videos
To engage in all manner of web- based socialization
To email and view attachments of every conceivable electronic variety
To print everything properly formatted in both color and monochrome

And they want it all to “just work” without having to read a manual or
learn anything new ...

Quite a challenge, but there are enough "pieces" already floating around
out there (LTSP / MySQL for generating and storing passwords / Sabayon
or Pessulus for security / CUPS for printing / Mozilla for a central
administration screen) that an open-source solution may be possible.

Best,

-- Darrell