Thin Client /etc/hosts entry

Gavin McCullagh gmccullagh at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 10:46:29 GMT 2009

Hi,

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009, M Rathburn wrote:

> How do I make entries into the /etc/hosts for PXE i386 thin clients?  I
> noticed that when I chrooted and tried to edit the file, it shows:
>
> #This is a ltsp chroot and this file will be rewritten in boot process
> #of terminal.
> 127.0.0.1 localhost
>
> So where would I make the entries so they'll propagate to the TC's?

A while back I used ltsp to network boot a bunch of servers.  I created a
file called

	/etc/init.d/customise_client

made it executable and linked it into /etc/rc2.d/ so the script ran on
boot.

The script did a bunch of things like:

	echo "w.x.y.z   hostname1" >> /etc/hosts
	echo "w.x.y.z   hostname2" >> /etc/hosts
	echo "w.x.y.z   hostname3" >> /etc/hosts

It also ran something like:

	mac=`ip addr show eth0 | grep 'link/ether' | cut -f 6 -d " "`

to identify the machine by their mac address, then I had a case statement
which compared $mac to a bunch of known macs and made machine-specific
customisations.

This (particularly the machine-specific bit) is not very scalable and not
very pretty, but it suited my purpose.