Adobe Reader as localapp (thin client black screen)

Mika Pflüger mail at mikapflueger.de
Sun Jan 11 00:52:11 GMT 2009

Hi,

> >  From all indications that went okay.  I then did an
> > ltsp-update-image.  When firing up a thin-client, I get the
> > pretty little Ubuntu graphical logo and status bar.  It goes
> > through that, then it displays the mouse cursor, then the
> > screen goes black and nothing else.  It is at this point
> > where we normally get the Ubuntu login screen.  We don't do
> > anything like LDAP/NIS, etc.
> >
> > I've rebooted the machine.  I can log into the console okay.
> > I can even log in via VNC, if that matters.  All else looks
> > well.  All thin-clients get the black screen.
> >
> > How can I either get this to fire up, or at least revert back
> > to a workable environment (preferably before Monday morning!)
> > :).  I have no idea as to where to even begin tracking this down.

Hi, could you log in a console and do
sudo dmesg > dmesg.log
and
sudo cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log > Xorg.log
and then provide the files dmesg.log and Xorg.log created by this?
It somehow sounds as if X would be crashing and restarting over and
over again.

You could try reverting the whole installation by "apt-get remove" and
"apt-get autoremove". WARNING: Check apt-get -s autoremove (a dry run)
and look, what it wants to remove! It should only remove packages
pulled in by firefox and acroread. Don't run it without -s if it wnats
to remove lots of packages or important packages. This should get you
to the state before the installation of the two packages.

Greetings,

Mika