Windows computers in the midst of Edubuntu Network

Krsnendu dasa krsnendu108 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 09:46:47 BST 2008

I have managed to keep our student network Windows free for a few years now,
but there are a few programs that have come back to haunt me and now I have
been requested to install some standalone windows desktops. (Just 3 for
now.)
They are Shockwave based programs produced by the New Zealand Ministry of
Education. I have installed them under Crossover Linux but there are some
delays and stuttering problems that make the performance unsatisfactory
(even directly on the server it seems.)
There is also a need for standalone workstation for multimedia purposes,
(Audigy, MovieMaker etc.)

Enough preamble. Basically, I am looking for the easiest way to deploy these
machines. I have 3 identical P4 1.8 GHz 256GbRAM machines. (I am hoping we
can soon convert them to Linux workstations (or low fat clients)).

To keep things simple there will be one login per machine. There is no need
for user authentication or to mount home directories.

I remember previously that I made image copies and copied them through the
network to other machines. I forget the name of the program.
Is there any alternative, like using a virtual machine for example.

Also how do you set up the machines so they dual boot, 1. ltsp client
(default) / 2. Windoze XP.

Sorry for being wordy. My wife was talking as I was typing and I couldn't
fully concentrate.

Thanks.
Krsnendu dasa