Excessive SSH Tunnel/Traffic

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Fri Mar 14 19:20:21 GMT 2008

> http://munin.projects.linpro.no/
>
> This would give us memory usage, cpu usage, network bandwidth and other
> information from each thin client individually.  This would hopefully be a
> big help in diagnosing problems on thin clients.  There would probably be
> some tricks involved in automatically monitoring all thin clients (you
> might need to set up static ips?).
>
> http://munin.ping.uio.no/

We already run fixed IP addresses and host name declaration with our setup so I did the
following:

sudo chroot /opt/ltsp/i386
apt-get install munin-node
vim /etc/munin/munin-node.conf
  add a second allow line with the IP of the munin server if it isn't the LTSP server
vim /etc/hostname
  removed all lines in this file so it can build the hostname file based off the info
that the dhcp server is providing

Then on the munin server added hosts for the clients that boot up.  It works pretty
cool.  Downside is it looks like ever client needs to be added individually.  It would
be nice if munin would just sniff the network for hosts running munin-node and add them
to the list automatically.  At this point I would need to add lines for 107 other clients.

Jim