running edubuntu as a virtual server

Clinton Blackmore armagon_ca at yahoo.ca
Thu Mar 6 18:10:17 GMT 2008

Greetings.

I thought of trying to run an Edubuntu LTSP server within Parallels, but
decided it would be simpler to do on a real machine.  [I've really only
run a couple of test configurations.]  If you are to try that route, I
think you'll have some struggles with the networking, as the virtual
machine is (usually?) in a different subnet, and Parallels provides a
bridge. [Then again, I've never tried anything like it, and I imagine
that, instead of just using Parallels to run Windows, people do use it to
run servers, so there must be a way to do so.]

If I were in your position, I'd consider this:

- Have a nice file server, with RAID backup.  Make sure user files are
accessible over NFS. [This would work nicely on an XServer with OS X
10.5].
- Scale up by having one switch and one Edubuntu server in each lab.  The
server is connected to the main network (where it can authenticate users
over LDAP and access their files over NFS) and to the lab network, which
has tons of data running over it to support the clients.
- If your labs are not, well, labs but scattered units, I think you could
put your Edubuntu servers and switches in the network closet.

Alternatively:

- Have a nice file server, as above.  If using OS X, you could certain run
DHCP, and I believe you could configure it to run TFTP and send out the
kernel images.
- Have multiple lesser Edubuntu servers, set up in a
failover/load-balancing arrangement.  If one should go down, the system
keeps going.

My fear with the latter arrangement is that your network will be so
congested that the clients will really suffer. I was going to say, I
wouldn't do that without a gigabit network, but it looks like that is what
you intend to put in place.  [If I were going with the other arrangement,
Id use gigabit cables from the Edubuntu servers to their respective
switches, and 100 MB/s cables from the switches to the clients.]

I do think you'll be better off with multiple, less expensive servers (and
switches!) then you would be with one giant server.

Cheers,
Clinton Blackmore