Howto Install Hardy

Krsnendu dasa krsnendu108 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 04:33:33 GMT 2008

I have installed Hardy alpha 5. After installing smbldap using
smbldap-install, the computer does not start. It freezes just after
saying:

starting kernel log daemon .

It never gets to the graphical environment.
If I do alt-ctl-f7 nothing happens.
If I do alt-ctl-F1 to takes me to console login prompt. but if I enter
a username and press enter it never asks for a password.

I tried booting using rescue mode (from grub). From a root prompt I
can start gdm and log in, after a wait I get a message "Internal Error
- failed to initialize HAL!" If I close that dialog box I can click on
the background image and change background image, turn off compiz etc,
but there are not panels so I can't actually do anything useful.

Any clues how I can fix this?