booting thin clients and firestarter

DB Clinton dbclin at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 20:32:10 GMT 2008

A month or so back, the good folk on this list tried to help me boot thin
clients to my Edubuntu server. It turned out that the actual problem
wasn't a configuration issue. By freakish coincidence, there were separate
problems with each of my clients: one had a BIOS whose NIC boot service was
wobbly, another had a NIC that was incompatible and the third simply had a
lame cdrom drive. I replaced the bad card and successfully booted all three
via floppy disks.
So for a short while I had three thin clients happily booting off the server
and a bunch of excited, Windows-free kids. But then I installed Firestarter.
The installation went smoothly enough (I configured Firestarter to share my
internet connection and use dhcp for the LAN), but my clients were
immediately cut off and couldn't boot back in.
I completely uninstalled Firestarter (including the config settings) but the
clients are still getting hung early in the boot process ("no ip address").
I suspect that the system is still using the dhcpd.conf file in dhcp3 rather
than the dhcpd.conf in ltsp (although I've remarked-out the authoritative
from the dhcp3 version). If that's the case, how would I reset that and what
other conf files might need changes?
Also: does anyone have any idea why I can't boot clients with Firestarter?
Thanks again,
David Clinton