FreeNX connect to Edubuntu

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Thu Jan 24 14:22:16 GMT 2008

> Performance is quite good over broadband, and I've just setup a
> connection over a satellite link (to a Debian server) that _may_ be
> usable.
>
> You might want to look at the feature comparison list at
> http://www.nomachine.com/features.php . The Free version is limited to 2
> users, which may be a deal killer. They seem to offer educational
> discounts...

Thanks for the added info Richard.  I just tested and am able to log 4 clients in using
the nxclient and freenx on the server.  I assume this will scale to more but haven't
tried yet.  I still need to do some testing from off campus for speeds, but I'm pretty
excited at this point.

I have notice that fl_teachertool does not work over NX.  It seems to be this is because
the display fl_teachertool wants to export to does not match the display of the NX
session.  Thin Client Manager does however display, so in the future when that works out
of the box, it should be an option.  However TCM does not list the NX connections, so I
don't see a way to monitor/control/list NX connections yet in an easy manner.

I hope to do some testing over the next week, then roll this out to students and faculty
for working from home.

Thanks,
Jim