FreeNX connect to Edubuntu

Richard Doyle rdoyle at
Thu Jan 24 04:07:00 GMT 2008

On Wed, 2008-01-23 at 16:02 -0500, Jim Kronebusch wrote:
> Does anyone have a good tutorial or link to instructions to getting FreeNX working with
> Edubuntu?
This isn't exactly what you are asking for, but Nomachine NX is free as
in beer (apparently the libraries and some components are GPL 2, other
parts are proprietary). You can find a links to a deb that works under
Edubuntu 7.04, and should work with other versions, at

Lots of information on

> I have my thin clients at the school authenticating with OpenLDAP, but I
> would like to provide students a secure and relatively fast way to connect to their
> school desktop from home.  FreeNX seems like it would probably be the best solution.
> But from any tutorials I read it looks like you need to set up users separately for
> FreeNX.  I really want something that they can use to see the identical desktop they see
> at school, from home.
Hm, not sure where you read that, but logging in as myself on an NX
client, I see the same messy desktop from home as I do sitting down to a
thin client in my wife's classroom. NX installs a user named nx on the
server, but it works behind the scenes--you still login as a normal user
and get your normal desktop.

Performance is quite good over broadband, and I've just setup a
connection over a satellite link (to a Debian server) that _may_ be

You might want to look at the feature comparison list at . The Free version is limited to 2
users, which may be a deal killer. They seem to offer educational

The FreeNX FAQ is at