dist-upgrade of chroot

Gavin McCullagh gmccullagh at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 16:07:27 GMT 2008

Hi,

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008, Bill Moseley wrote:

> That's seems a bit drastic.  I have already customized my chroot a
> bit, plus it seems like one should be able to upgrade the chroot as a
> part of normal maintenance for bug fixes and security updates.

On reflection, this doc seems to suggest you need only mount /proc by hand
and what you were doing should work.

http://doc.ubuntu.com/edubuntu/edubuntu/handbook/C/ltsp-updates.html

It doesn't say anything about /dev/ though it sounds like you needed it.
Maybe let us know if you need to mount that so the handbook can be fixed.

I'd be inclined to just install the new packages and not run the upgrade.
If your thin clients work now, chances are you don't need the patch and as
far as security goes, there's not much you can do on or to a thin client so
securing them is probably not that important.

> I assume ltsp-build-client, besides downloading all the recent
> packages, then runs ltsp-update-sshkeys, ltsp-update-kernels, and
> ltsp-update-image?

You should assume nothing :-)

update-sshkeys is probably not needed as the build process creates the keys
within the new chroot, update-kernels probably shouldn't be necessary
either as the build process should copy the kernel over to
/var/lib/tftpboot.  I'm pretty sure the gutsy build-client does build the
nbd image also.

> Would that therefore also create /var/lib/tftpboot/ltsp/i386_new?

I'd say probably not, if anything it would be
/var/lib/tftpboot/ltsp_new/i386 as it's ltsp_new, not i386_new but you'd
have to check the script to see if that's exactly what it does.

> > Then you can swap them with
> > 	sudo mv /opt/ltsp/i386 /opt/ltsp/i386_old
> > 	sudo mv /opt/ltsp-new/i386 /opt/ltsp/i386
>
> Then I'd need to build a new nbd image to go with that, no?

Most likely.  I'm not so experienced with gutsy as yet as we haven't had
time to move to it yet and still run edgy.  I've tested it though and the
above comments about ltsp-build-client are my memory of it.