dist-upgrade of chroot

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Wed Jan 23 15:46:30 GMT 2008

On Wed, Jan 23, 2008 at 12:01:58PM +0000, Gavin McCullagh wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Jan 2008, Bill Moseley wrote:
>
> > This is on Edubuntu Gutsy.
> >
> > I wanted to enable vnc[1], but my chroot only had a cdrom for
> > sources.list.  So I copied the sources.list file from the server to
> > the chroot, and then ran a dist-upgrade.
> >
> > Then I got a few errors:
> >
> >     Can not write log, openpty() failed (/dev/pts not mounted?)
> >
> > In addition to chroot /opt/ltsp/i386 do I need to mount /dev/pts in
> > general?  Same with /proc?
>
> I think it might be better to build a new chroot.
>
> 	sudo ltsp-build-client --base /opt/ltsp_new

Thanks for responding, Gavin,

That's seems a bit drastic.  I have already customized my chroot a
bit, plus it seems like one should be able to upgrade the chroot as a
part of normal maintenance for bug fixes and security updates.

I assume ltsp-build-client, besides downloading all the recent
packages, then runs ltsp-update-sshkeys, ltsp-update-kernels, and
ltsp-update-image?  Would that therefore also create
/var/lib/tftpboot/ltsp/i386_new?

> Then you can swap them with
> 	sudo mv /opt/ltsp/i386 /opt/ltsp/i386_old
> 	sudo mv /opt/ltsp-new/i386 /opt/ltsp/i386

Then I'd need to build a new nbd image to go with that, no?

--
Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org