locking down the desktop

Jim Hutchinson jim at ubuntu-rocks.org
Mon Jan 21 16:46:35 GMT 2008

On Jan 21, 2008 9:01 AM, btabor <btabor at btownccs.k12.in.us> wrote:

> All students log in the same (see the same desktop).
> Then they can navigate to their network folders.

I'm somewhat new to Linux too, but I have a thin client set up at my
school running edubuntu. I'm wondering if having everyone use the same
login is a good idea. It seems like things would get rather squirrelly
after a while. If they have network folders, do they also have network
logins? Our students have accounts via Active Directory and we were
able to get those logins to work in the lab. Perhaps a similar
solution would work for you too. You could also set up accounts for
each student. A simple script could be used to make accounts like
user001, user002 and so on. Not the best solution but maybe better
than everyone using the same login. I actually have a script someone
wrote for me for this exact purpose. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't mind
me sharing it.

-jim