Help with setting up Edubuntu Server and Client

Charles Austin ceaustin at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 15:48:35 GMT 2008

On Jan 8, 2008 4:39 PM, Craig Birrell <craig at worklifematters.com.au> wrote:

>  Hi
> I am new to linux, but I have set up a small network with Ubuntu. I'd like
> to set up a Edubuntu Server and client to make use of 2 old computers.

Welcome!  Give it some time, and you will love it.

> I have attempted to get things working with out success. I have install
> Edubuntu 7.10 which has 2 network cards. One card is connected to the ADSL
> router (Dlink 514) (static ip set 192.1068.0.254) and the other (no ip
> set) is connected to a 10/100 switch. I have attempted to connect a computer
> (BIOS set for network boot) to the 10/100 switch - no luck. I believe the
> Dlink 514 router has dhcp activated, if that makes a difference.

You need to turn that off, and assign a static IP to your server.
192.168.0.2 is the "default" that some of the thin client scripts are
expecting.

There are other computers also connected to the Dlink ADSL router.

As long as DHCP is off on the router, that is fine for a small  number of
clients.

> I have read a number of articles on Edubuntu and Ubuntu forum, the more I
> read the more confused I get
>
> I would appreciated some help  - these are some of my questions, please
> feel free to add suggestions-
>
>    1. Once Edubuntu is installed, is there anything else that needs to
>    be activated, such as the server or anything for the client?
>
> Just a few things left to do manually after the install:
copy /opt/ltsp/i386/usr/share/doc/ltsp-client-core/examples/lts.conf to
/var/lib/tftpboot/ltsp/i386/

>    1.
>    2. Do any changes or setting need to be made for  dhcp settings?
>
> You might need to check the /etc/ltsp/dhcp.conf file to make sure it has
the right settings for your network.  If you make changes to it, restart
dhcp:  sudo /etc/init.d/dhcp3-server restart
  Make sure DHCP is off in your DSL modem.

>    1.
>    2. Booting clients, I have read about network booting, but how is it
>    possible to boot from a cd or from a harddrive?
>
> Boot from a cd is easier, in my opinion.  Google for gpxe - you have to
download a package and run it in order to make the cds, but the end result
is pretty much bullet proof.

>    1.
>    2. With the setup I have is there any specific setting or changes I
>    should make following the install?

Depends on your environment  - only if you have problems.