Thin client configuration problems

DB Clinton dbclin at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 02:31:41 GMT 2008

 Gavin McCullagh wrote:
>> I wonder if the problem is the "auto eth1" line at the end of interfaces
-
>> do you have to reboot after making that change?
>>

> Yes if you modified it by hand (actually you don't need a reboot, you need
> to restart the networking, but a reboot would achieve that). Would you not
> just try rebooting and see what happens though rather than asking us?

Well, I figured that rebooting obviously would work but that it would have
been a colossal waste of time if it wasn't necessary (especially since
Edubuntu boots can sometimes take more than five minutes right now). In any
case, I since discovered that I can restart the network configurations
within the session using

sudo /etc/init.d/network restart

> To be honest, we're going around in circles here. If I were you, I'd
> strongly consider a fresh install as you've apparently modified a fair
bit.

That is a serious thought.
> You can do it with the standard edubuntu install CD, as the
re-partitioning
> is already done.
Actually, that's a problem as Wubi doesn't create a physical partition
("This is a real installation, the only difference is that Ubuntu is
installed within a file as opposed to being installed within its own
partition" - see http://wubi-installer.org/faq.php). Of course, I could
uninstall Wubi from within Windows (and start again with another Wubi
"session"), but I'd prefer not if possible.
> Try and get one thing working at a time (eg, first thin
> clients, then internet, then routing, etc.) and keep track of what changes
> you make. I would also suggest running pppoe on a dedicated interface or
> better still get a DSL modem/router to do it.

It turns out that my DSL modem (Thomson SpeedTouch 516v6) is also a router.
How would I configure it to do the job?
With thanks,
David