how activate my pen drive

Jordan Mantha mantha at ubuntu.com
Tue Feb 26 19:27:16 GMT 2008

R. Scott Belford wrote:
> David Van Assche wrote:
>> What is unacceptable, to pay Canonical, or the usb bug ;-)
>
> The bug is what it is, though leaving it unfixed for so long did nothing
> to advance the acceptance of edubuntu.  Debianedu handled it
> differently, and EH would have fixed it the same day with the former
> K12LTSP.

In general, Ubuntu's stable release updating policy is a bit different
then Fedora/RHEL based distros. Ubuntu generally prefers to only do
critical updates (not saying this bug isn't one) and put more focus into
the next release. Oliver marked the bug as fixed in Hardy on 2008-02-12
and I'm not sure if he's planning on a SRU (stable release update) [0],
perhaps he can comment on that. I think SRUs are indeed an area that
Edubuntu could improve on, but I think it should also be kept in mind
that Oliver is the only paid Edubuntu developer, carries almost all
development burden, and has a lot of duties outside of specifically LTSP
to take care of. Since Edubuntu is an open-source, community-driven OS I
feel it's important that users also become active in helping Edubuntu
succeed. If anybody is interested in help out with things like bug
triage, package maintenance, doc writing, artwork, or testing, just drop
a note to the edubuntu-devel list.

> It was unacceptable to suggest to a user, on a user's list, that paying
> Canonical for support was the appropriate solution for this and the
> other out-of-the-box gotchas from 7.1.

I don't read all emails from edubuntu-users, but I've never seen
anybody, let alone an Edubuntu dev team member say that paid support is
the appropriate solution to any problem. However, it can be a good idea
for schools who can afford it and want that extra level of support, as
with any product.

>> Anyway... Hardy has fixed the issue, and one can install that and
>> (possibly) run on a production server already...
>
> Where are bug reports supposed to go for Hardy?

Bug reports are all done on Launchpad.

-Jordan

[0] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StableReleaseUpdates