moving HD with 32bit Feisty from 64 bit motherboard to 32 bit motherboard

Charles Austin ceaustin at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 14:04:38 GMT 2008

On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 3:26 AM, Krsnendu dasa <krsnendu108 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I took the advice of Charles and a friend who is a geek. I installed
> Wireshark. Straight away I noticed a lot of bad checksum messages. Thousands
> of them! I am not sure what that means, but I'm sure it has something to do
> with the problem. Any ideas what causes checksum errors?

Bad checksums mean that the TCP packet your device is receiving is
corrupt.  Any number of things can cause this - physical network,
software, rouge device, etc.  Are there any changes to the
environment?  New lighting (can cause interference if network cables
run close to it)?  New network switch? New patch cable for a
workstation? (I once saw a LAN crippled by single patch cable that was
not Cat 5.) Does Wireshark give you any info about the origin of the
bad checksum packages?

> My friend told me that sometimes networks go down in a broadcast storm
> caused by a network cable plugged into the same switch twice.

Yep, that too.
> To summarize  so far:
>
> Problem: Network disconnects frequently (especially the main server). Thin
> clients freeze for a few minutes then come up with the regular screen with 4
> untitled windows tabs. Logout and login needed to start work again.
>  The server cannot be pinged and Samba shares are unaccessible for 2-3
> minutes. Backups are interrupted.
>
> Troubleshooting steps so far:
> 1. Changed the network cable from the main server to the main switch. No
> change.
>  2. Changed the main switchh. (from a gigaswitch to a 100Mhz switch- both
> unmanaged.)
> 3. Installed a pci network card and disabled the onboard port. No change.
> 3. Moved the system hard drive to a new box. No change.
>  4. Installed Wireshark - it reported many checksum errors and some ssh
> errors. What does this tell me? Can this help me pinpoint the problem?

Only if Wireshark tells you the origin of the packets.

> Current situation:
> Disconnections as before.
> Now server cannot connect to network printer by ip address even though other
> computers on the network can. It cannot ping  the printer or access the web
> interface.
>  Other computers occasionally get disconnected from the network printer. The
> network printer and the other computers are on a secondary switch that
> connects to the main switch.
> Perhaps the secondary switch is causing problems for the main switch?
>
> Next steps: Try to isolate the problem more.
> 1. Connect the server to just one client and see if it disconnects. If that
> works...
> 2. Connect to one client through the switch
> 3. Connect the second server
> 4. Connect secondary switches
>  etc...

You are on the right track.  Let us know which device it turns out to be.