request for some help with performance and sound

Patrick McKnight pem at alumni.nd.edu
Tue Feb 5 20:42:07 GMT 2008

Ah, good catch.  I am not sure about the driver (I cannot check it right now
because I am not in my lab).  If I specify the via driver in the
lts.conffile, I suspect it is using the stock xorg driver.  Is that
true?  If so, I
think this might be the problem.  By the way, my server video performance is
horrible as well.  Perhaps that is the common thread.  Is there a way to
stick with the Gutsy install but use the via driver from previous versions?
I know xorg is quite finicky about driver compatibility but perhaps the
versions are not so different in driver specs.

Thanks for the questions.  They are leading me at least in a direction to
figure out the source of my problem.

On Feb 5, 2008 3:11 PM, Richard Doyle <rdoyle at islandnetworks.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2008-02-05 at 14:50 -0500, Patrick McKnight wrote:
> > Richard,
> >
> > Thanks for the quick reply and sorry about excluding relevant
> > information.
> Were you using the default Via driver (the xorg version) in both
> instances?
> >
> > I am using 7.10 (Gutsy) now.  The install is the AMD64 version on my
> > server and I boot off a i386 image for my clients.
> Log into the system console on the client, as root, and inspect the Xorg
> log (in our system it is named Xorg.6.log) for clues. See
> >
> > With respect to the drivers and kernel, yes, I suppose the via driver
> > changed from the Dapper ltsp install to the Gutsy Edubuntu ltsp
> > install.  I would not expect the driver to account for the extreme
> > difference but perhaps that is the case.
> I agree, but only if you were using the xorg driver in both cases. The
> xorg driver works, but performanace is poor. In my experience, the only
> driver to provide decent performance is the proprietary version from
> Via, and that only with the pre-gutsy version. We've reverted to Feisty
> for this reason.

Cheers,

Patrick