request for some help with performance and sound

Richard Doyle rdoyle at islandnetworks.com
Tue Feb 5 21:23:26 GMT 2008

On Tue, 2008-02-05 at 15:42 -0500, Patrick McKnight wrote:
> Ah, good catch.  I am not sure about the driver (I cannot check it
> right now because I am not in my lab).  If I specify the via driver in
> the lts.conf file, I suspect it is using the stock xorg driver.  Is
> that true?
Yes.

> If so, I think this might be the problem.  By the way, my server video
> performance is horrible as well.  Perhaps that is the common thread.
Sounds likely.

> Is there a way to stick with the Gutsy install but use the via driver
> from previous versions?  I know xorg is quite finicky about driver
> compatibility but perhaps the versions are not so different in driver
> specs.
As far as I know, your xorg drivers need to match your kernel, and each
version uses a new kernel, so...

With Feisty, we're using a driver compiled from source and the via
binary, as described at:

http://www.viaarena.com/Driver/via%20linux%20unichrome%20kernel%20driver%20source%20code%20installation%20guide%20v0%5B1%5D.83.gz

Unfortunately, there isn't anything comparable for Gutsy, and the
openchrome, xorg, and unichrome open source drivers gave unacceptable
performance, or at least I ran out of time to find a way to make any of
them work.