Enquiry about Edubuntu in the classroom

Uwe Geercken uwe.geercken at datamelt.com
Thu Aug 7 21:12:07 BST 2008

Anh Hung,

I am giving linux lessons at our local school in germany using
edubuntu. we have one server - a quad core, 4gb machine - that I put
together myself. I am teaching up to 10 children at one time. a clear
limitation that I see are: games and video. the server has problems of
distributing a lot of data in forms of screens to all clients. other
than that, it is 100% ok. depending on your setup, you might not have
the same limitations as I have here. of course it also depends what
clients you use and what network you have. let us know a little bit
more about your setup please.

in my case the school clearly indicated that I can not change any of
the existing computers inb the computer lab which are running windows
xp. so we got this server, I hook it up to the network before the
lesson and then all clients boot from the edubuntu server. that was
the perfect solution for me.

linux nowadays is quickly going forward. people start to recognize
linux and that it brings benefits. my argument is always: teach the
students both windows and linux. then later when the time is right,
they can coose themselves what they like and what they prefer or where
they see the greatest benefit for themselves.

I don't know if edubuntu is available in vietnamese, but linux is very
much multi-lingual out-of-the-box. if vietnamese is not available, go
ahead and launch a project to translate it to your language. with lots
of helping hands that is doable!

be patient. it took me a long time to convince people from the school
to also use linux and that it is beneficial for the students. after
more than a year of talking - also to parents - it is progressing. but
the steps are small. but I don't care because I have a lot of fun with
my students (10-14 years old) and when I see that they have understood
and learned something and keep on comming to my lessons (which are
extra hours in the afternoon) I am proud and have enough strength to
carry on.

good luck. and have a nice day.

uwe