"Default" session in LDM not logging in, only gnome-session works

dirk mlists.edubuntu at pro-ite.com
Sun Apr 27 14:06:43 BST 2008

Hi,

I have a similar failure:
Oliver Grawert schrieb am 11.12.2007 12:18:
> hi,
> On Di, 2007-12-11 at 12:52 +1100, Jeremy Visser wrote:
>
>> If I log in with LDM, and I don't select a session to log in with (or
>> select the Default session in the selector), after I enter my
>> username/password, the screen goes blank (indicating this is not an SSH
>> problem), and after about 5 seconds, dumps me back to the LDM login
>> screen.
>>
> the default session is whatever is set up in the system as
> x-session-manager ...
>
> sudo update-alternatives --config x-session-manager

~# update-alternatives --config x-session-manager

Es gibt nur 1 Programm, welches x-session-manager bereitstellt
(/usr/bin/startkde). Nichts zu konfigurieren.

So, it tells me, that kde is the default. But the users get the
"failsafe xterm"-Session when they log in.

I wanted to get rid of all the other sessions exept of kde, because we
use kiosk-admin-tool to restrict the users, that only works with kde.
makes no sence to let them login into the other sessions then. ;-)

So I looked and ask how to disable this "session"-menu, but no easy way
found.
I renamed f.e. /usr/bin/gnome-session - so it it wasn't shown anymore.
Two entries in that session-menu are still alive: failsafe and kde.

they get always that failsafe.

What can I do
a. to get kde as the default
b. get rid of that menu.