Hardy Display problems

Charles Austin ceaustin at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 18:30:28 BST 2008

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 2:40 AM, Krsnendu dasa <krsnendu108 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have installed Hardy from Beta with all updates applied. I think I have
> updated the ltsp tree once some time ago also.
>
> I have a problem with display performance. Under K12ltsp6 (ltsp4.2) I had
> tux maths, flash videos etc running well (and that was on an old system (AMD
> 2500XP with 2 GB RAM). I upgrade to Feisty on a Quad Core Intel machine with
> 4 GB RAM. Again Flash and other graphics was fine. Now I have installed
> Hardy, screen redraws are slow even on ordinary web pages and Flash videos
> are especially jerky. (I have turned off hardware acceleration for flash.)
Are you running 32 bit or 64 bit version of the OS?  Flash is a real
challenge in Gutsy 64 bit, but this is a Firefox issue.  I don't think
it has been resolved yet.

> I have LDM_DIRECTX=True.
>
> I have tested it with echo $DISPLAY and directx seems to be working.
>
> I suspect that the wrong driver is being used for the graphics card. I am
> not sure which one.
>
> If I do lspci on the client it says:
>
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller : ATI Technologies Inc 3D Rage Pro 1x/2X
> (rev 5c)
>
> I tried the following settings for xserver one by one:
> XSERVER=vesa
> XSERVER=ati
> XSERVER=radeon
>
> I also tried X_COLOR_DEPTH=16
>
> Each time all I got was a black screen with a white dash flashing in the top
> left corner.
>
> Using lsmod the only thing which seemed relevant was:
> intel_agp 25492 1
> agpgart 34760 1 intel_agp

Where are you running lsmod - server or thin client?  (Can you run
lsmod on the thin clients?)

If the thin client has an intel video chipset, use XSERVER=intel.  I
had the luxury of booting my thin clients as a thick client to find
out what video drivers they were using.

> When the xserver does start, I see this error when I press ALT-CTL-F1:
>
> OIL: ERROR liboiltest.c 361: oil_test_check_impl(): illegal instruction in
> mmxCombineAddU
>
> Can anyone give me advice how to troubleshoot my poor graphics performance?
>
> Should I try updating the ltsp image?
> I think my current version is 2008212-ubuntu3. Perhaps version ubuntu4 will
> fix my problem. Can I just do:
> sudo chroot /opt/ltsp/i386/
> sudo apt-get upgrade
> sudo ltsp-client-build

Don't do this from the chroot in Gutsy, if that is any help.

>  Or do I have to start from scratch (delete /i386 directory then run
> ltsp-build-client)?

Shouldn't need to delete the i386 directory either.

> Is there another graphics driver I need to load etc.?
> Which log files can I look at? How can I export them to the server so I can
> look at them more easily and email them?

Good question, anyone else know?

Charles