2nd Attempt at Setting Up Lab

operationsengineer1 at yahoo.com operationsengineer1 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 5 23:42:40 BST 2008

operationsengineer1 at yahoo.com wrote:
> hi all,
>
> i bought a server to convert a bunch of pii 200mhz machines into edubuntu terminals at my kid's school.  however, i didn't quite understand the complexity of using intel based terminals and an amd64 dual core server.  long story short - they wouldn't connect.  this is likely due to my lack of wizardry, however, i'm not trying to be a dual architecture, work through incompatibilities wizard, i'm trying to set up a lab that kids will find useful.
>
> so, it is on to plan b.  i want to swap out the main board on the server and go with an intel cpu.  are there any "gotchas" i can avoid by picking the right motherboard and cpu?  do intel 64 bit cpus pose a problem?
>
> thanks for sharing your insight and experience.
>
> oe1
> You rock. That's why Blockbuster's offering you one month of Blockbuster Total Access, No Cost.

If your server is AMD64 and your clients are 32 bit, you can still use
the setup to build ltsp images (ltps-build-client) for the 32 bit client
machines. In fact, I believe there's a page in the wiki on building
PowerPC clients running off aa64 bit server...I'm a bit tight on time,
so I cannot search right now...maybe someone else can point to it?

Also make sure your PII machines can PXEboot or are setup for etherboot.

Sameer

hi Sameer and John, thanks for responding.  i set up the server with 7.10 just fine.  i also set it up to deal with win32 clients (my exact steps were previously posted to this mailing list), but there was still a failure to connect - i had posted the exact failure on this mailing list a while back.  someone on this forum said they tried it on 7.10 and it didn't work for them, either.  they did get it to work on 7.04.  i tried to install 7.04 on the server and it wouldn't install.  so the one that works won't install on the server and the one that doesn't installs just fine.  ;-)

i might wait and see if i can get 8.04 edubuntu up and running before buying the new intel mainboard and cpu, but i'm to the point i just want something to work.

here is one of the threads dealing with my previous attempts...

http://www.nabble.com/LTSP---Server-AMD64,-Thin-Clients-i386-td15533884.html