edubuntu ltsp not pretty

Gavin McCullagh gmccullagh at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 09:12:19 BST 2007

Hi,

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007, Ross Armstrong wrote:

> I have installed Edubuntu 7.04 and 6.06 both install quite nicely, but
> neither show all LTSP services running, and both won't allow any client
> connections.  In fact, the client will not get a DHCP address.

What exactly do you mean by "neither show all LTSP services running".

> (I did boot the client in to XP and set the IP to the same range as the
> client NIC, and I could ping the edubuntu server - all connectivity is
> good).
>
> (I did use a boot ROM and did get an IP from a different LTSP server - so
> the ROM is good too.)

It sounds like the DHCP server isn't running.  You should be able to run a
command like this to check:

gavin at robin ~> ps aux |grep dhcp
dhcpd    24265  0.0  0.0   2916   176 ?        Ss   Jun24   0:02 /usr/sbin/dhcpd3 -q eth0 -pf /var/run/dhcp3-server/dhcpd.pid -cf /etc/ltsp/dhcpd.conf
gavin     7800  0.0  0.2   2884   764 pts/3    S+   09:06   0:00 grep dhcp

which shows dhcpd, my dhcp server is running.  If it's not running you can
try starting it by hand either by starting the program under the menus
System->Administration->Services or by

	sudo /etc/init.d/dhcp3-server restart

and you can look in /var/log/syslog for errors, eg if you changed the IP
address of your server, you'd need to update /etc/ltsp/dhcpd.conf to take
account of that.  The dhcp server won't start unless the machine has an
interface with an ip address within the subnet it has been configured to
serve to clients.

> ltspadmin on 6.06.1 shows all services running except Xdmcp, which is not
> installed.  And it doesn't want to install in either version.

XDMCP is not an installable package, as far as I'm aware, it's a
configuration you can turn on in display managers like gdm.  However, this
is purely academic as LTSP5 doesn't use XDMCP, it uses an X session
tunneled over ssh.