edubuntu ltsp not pretty

Jay Perez jperez1 at rochester.rr.com
Thu Sep 27 01:45:06 BST 2007

Ross,

I recently installed Edubuntu 7.04 (Feisty Fawn) from a CD I burned from the iso image downloaded from their site and it pretty much worked out-of-the-box.  Good thing because I do not have the skills to fix anything if it didn't just work.

The only trick I had to deal with on install was getting the two NIC cards identified correctly but even that wouldn't have been a problem if I had them both installed in the computer and working before I did the install.

Afterwards, and the most difficult task, I had to figure out how to get or make the proper PXE boot disk for a couple of my machines. (A couple of my newer ones had this feature built into their NIC cards so all I had to do was set the BIOS to boot off the LAN before the harddrive or hit the F12 key and select it during posting.)

Not offering much help but just wanted you to know that it can work ...

Have found a few items that I think may be bugs but again, my skills are so lacking that it's much more likely I'm just doing something wrong.

When you get it running you'll have to create some user IDs and profiles.  Be careful to avoid logging in on more than one client at the same time using the same user name.  It will allow you to do it and not give a warning but might corrupt the user's profile. If this happens you won't be able to do some things like log-off or shutdown/restart the client.

I think I also ran into a problem doing this where some programs or graphics that I was expecting to show up on my screen never did.  Found them open on the other client that I had been logged into with the same name. (I THINK that's what happened.  It was pretty late and I was cross-eyed tired at the time)

Good luck.

Jay Perez
Rochester, NY