Fw: Re: OpenOffice insert graphics, print and sometimes save=frozen client

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Fri Sep 14 05:36:28 BST 2007

The list wouldn't let my message through with the attachments, so below is at least the
text of my reply.  To reproduce yourself just create a new Writer document and insert 5
graphics on a single page, then print, things should get funky on you.

Scott, I sent you an email personally with attachments to use in testing.

Jim

> Can you create a document, send it to me, so I can try to reproduce here?
>
> What kind of graphics cards do you have in the client?
>
> Scott

Let me know if the attachments don't go through.  I have attached 2 documents, one in
odt format and the other created in OpenOffice and saved as a .doc (student wanted to
take home and work with in Word).  Both will freeze any of our clients when printed to a
HP4000.  I did have better luck when printing to a HP4500 Color, maybe attributable to
more printer memory.  However with both the client still popped up the graphics from
within the document all over the screen and slowed tremendously.  When printing to the
HP4500 the client didn't freeze, but left stray graphics all over the screen.  I did
print the same documents from a full independent Ubuntu Desktop without any problems.
The document named german.doc was the original document the student created the led me
to the problem.

The clients are DevonIT 6020p's (we have 108 of these).  Below is a snip from the
xorg.conf generated on the client:

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8623 [Apollo CLE266] integrated
CastleRock graphics"
        Driver          "via"
        BusID           "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

I don't have a client in front of me to tell you the model or who made it, but I can
verify that I have had the cover off one before and the chips matched the info above.

The clients have 800Mhz Cpu's and 128MB RAM.  I also have NBD-Swap set to 256MB.  Hope
this all helps.

Jim