Fw: Re: OpenOffice insert graphics, print and sometimes save=frozen client

Philipp Hanselmann philipp at schoolnet.na
Fri Sep 14 08:48:32 BST 2007

Hi

Yes, we have also issues

We using the following hardware
-Server P4, 3 GHz, Ram: 2 MB, Motherboard: Intel Desktop Board D915GAV
- HP Laserjet 11000 (usb connection)
- 10 thin clients, Intel celeron 400 MHz, Ram: 64 MB, Networkcards
Realteak (RTL 8139). Motherboard: Intel BI440ZX

Else:
- Distro: Feisty
- XDIRECT =true

If you add 3 OpenClipart pictures (.png) to an empty document (all
pictures on the same page, on the upper half of the page), I observed
that the printing is quite slow.

Generally I saw that the the Memory from our server goes up by 700 MB
for this single document.

See this example:

1.) Memory usage 1.2 GByte
2.) On thin client: OpenOffice: Clicks on printing.
3.) Memory on server is increasing steady to 1.9 GByte (duration 1 - 2
minutes)
4.) As soon as the memory stays stable on 1.9 GByte, the document is
showing up in the printer manager (started with administration rights)
5.) Then after 10 seconds the document is printed out.
6.) Memory usage goes back to 1.2 GByte
7.) On thin client: User can work *normally*

The others thin clients works normally in this example, but in case the
memory consumption goes over 2 GByte, the server starts to use the swap,
then the other clients get slow.

Philipp

--
SchoolNet NA - Youth Empowerment through Information and Communication Technology

SchoolNet Namibia provides sustainable, low cost technology solutions and internet access, as well as technical support, training services and rich educational content to schools, community-based educational organisations, and educational practitioners throughout Namibia.

www.schoolnet.na

toll free number: 0800 005793

Philipp Hanselmann
philipp at schoolnet.na