Beta Fl_TeacherTool for Edubuntu

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Wed Sep 5 19:27:19 BST 2007

> this should be sudo cp -a /root/.vnc /opt/ltsp/i386/root/
>
> Everything else looks okay. But this should not affect being able to
> view user processes, just control/monitor. BTW I have not enabled
> LDM_DIRECTX.

Okay, /root did not contain a .vnc folder.  I guess I assumed that I should copy
/home/vncuser/.vnc since that is where I started the vnc4server app from to create
files.  So I just ran sudo su then /usr/bin/vncpasswd and /usr/bin/vnc4server to create
the .vnc directory in root.  I then uncommented the lines and copied with cp -a
/root/.vnc /opt/ltsp/i386/root/ (skipped sudo since I was already superuser).

Rebooted client and tried sudo fl_teachertool.  Still didn't work.  I don't see
processes when selecting view, and get the following error when selecting mOnitor and
Control:

VNC viewer version 3.3.7 - built Mar  8 2007 21:56:52
Copyright (C) 2002-2003 RealVNC Ltd.
Copyright (C) 1994-2000 AT&T Laboratories Cambridge.
See http://www.realvnc.com for information on VNC.
Couldn't convert 'mmeurer' to host address
Unable to connect to VNC server

"mmeurer" is the user logged into the client I want to monitor.

Well, I just turned off LDM_DIRECTX=True in lts.conf......and everything works :-)

Good catch Robert.  I guess for now I'll do some testing and see if I can just run with
X encrypted.

Thanks for the work on this.

Jim