Edubuntu server with one NIC

Gavin McCullagh gmccullagh at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 16:22:50 BST 2007

Hi,

On Mon, 03 Sep 2007, Javier Tibau wrote:

> I bought a HP ML150 G3 to install Edubuntu on it. After reading a bit, I
> decided on saving the $100 or so on the second Ethernet card. Now I'm stuck
> with either LTSP or Internet on my server.

$100?  I would have thought $20 should cover it.  However.

> I had read that there was no problem with only having one ehternet card
> and it was kind of easy to set it up. It's been two days and I still
> can't figure it out. I already messed up the standard conf files on my
> first installation so that I couldn't go back to where LTSP worked fine.
> Can somebody help me with this? Either pointing me to the missing guide I
> can't seem to find or telling me which files and what to change. If
> nothing works I guess I'll just have to go and buy the extra NIC in the
> end which I already know will work.

You need to give us a bit more information here.  What exactly is not
working?

I use edubuntu with one network card without any complications.

 - broadband router plugs into the network with address 192.168.0.1
 - my server has address 192.168.0.254, gateway 192.168.0.1 and runs a DHCP
   server for that subnet
 - my thin clients have ip addresses in the range 192.168.0.100-253
 - all are plugged into the same switch/hub.

What sort of network layout are you trying to set up?