Customizing Edubuntu's LTSP client to start another session

Gavin McCullagh gmccullagh at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 14:05:45 BST 2007

Hi,

On Tue, 16 Oct 2007, S. J. van Harmelen wrote:

> So I did another test. I did a default ldm session and then tried to
> manualy start /usr/lib/ltsp/screen.d/rdesktop. But this resulted in the
> same behavior, and so I still could not check anything.
>
> I find this rader strange though. The rdesktop script I'm trying to use
> is file offert by Edubuntu it self. It's in the defult install off Gutsy
> so I guess I should expect it to work out-of-the-box? Right?

Probably, though gutsy is still not released (albeit very close).

Did you try this:

> > You could check the rdesktop server and see are any connections being
> > refused or if any connection is coming in from the client (tcpdump would be
> > a good bet for this).

It may as you say be a bug, but this sort of information would tell us if
the thin client is managing to get a connection out onto the network.  If
it is a bug, now's the time to fix it.

You could install openssh-server into the kiosk.

	sudo chroot /opt/ltsp/i386 apt-get install openssh-server
	sudo ltsp-update-image

and reboot the thin client.  Then you should be able to ssh into the thin
client and try the previous tests.  You will get an error from the
openssh-server install, but it should work anyway.  You can then remove it
afterward.