lockup on one machine

Gavin McCullagh gmccullagh at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 13:58:08 BST 2007

Hi,

On Tue, 16 Oct 2007, Alfred Nutile wrote:

> Al - to begin, yes this is a edubuntu install.

A thin client right, not an installed desktop?

> Al - I agree it can not be the machine nor the users login since it
> happens to me as I use the desk and they use mine.  No you can not
> move the moouse or ctrl-alt-f1.

Sounds like the thin client crashing then.  If you can figure out how, you
could set up a network syslogd on the server and get the thin clients to
send logging information across the network.  This _might_ give you a clue
why it's crashing.

> Al - I will look at this next time but I have tried another socket and
> power spot.

The only other question is the environment.  If it gets very hot in that
corner for some reason, it might cause a crash.  You could try and figure
out how hot the machine is.

> Basically I have worked with hardware for a number of years and this
> is odd so I think it is a software thing but not sure where.  Since the
> software could never know it is the same machine.

You seem to be describing a situation where the location is the problem.
If you replaced all of the things you said, then there is a completely
different computer in place and you still see the problem -- only the desk
and the sockets are still present.  If you can confirm that that computer
works fine elsewhere, I can't see how it can be a software issue.

This assumes the problem computer is doing all the same things as the
others -- ie you don't happen to do something unusual with that computer
that you don't with others.

> I have replace every thing from computer to server switch.  In a few
> days I am putting in a gigabyte card for better speeds.  Not that I
> think that it will help this situation since all the other machines
> are great.

It seems unlikely to help alright.