Edubuntu opens in a terminal only mode

Gavin McCullagh gmccullagh at
Mon Oct 1 13:38:01 BST 2007

On Mon, 01 Oct 2007, Gavin McCullagh wrote:

> The author seems to have used Xubuntu, not Edubuntu, which might work
> better in 128MB RAM (which is half of the minimum system requirements for
> an ubuntu dapper install).  You can still install the same educational
> applications, but XFCE might be a little less RAM hungry than GNOME.

Sorry, I'm totally wrong on that.  Those system requirements are for the
live cd installer, not the desktop itself.

Feisty (as opposed to dapper which you've chosen) can apparently run with
as little as 64MB or even 48MB.  I must admit I find that quite surprising.

It would be very interesting to hear if you get this machine working and
how responsive it is.