Thin Client Manager problems

R. Scott Belford scott at hosef.org
Sat Nov 17 01:58:37 GMT 2007

Robert Arkiletian wrote:

> Also see this (I notice -auth option, wondering if it's for 7.10)
> http://doc.edubuntu-fr.org/clientleger_x11vnc

It all works.  There is not a problem with TCM or the instructions
online.  The problem we were having was with Sabayon.  Aptitude remove
sabayon, the clients can log in.  It is befuddling, but we also mount
home over nfs, and we use /home/students, not just home. ?

At any rate, I find that it works.  Sorry for the confusion.

Now, I do have to use the -auth switch, but that is when I log in
remotely to the server.  It was part of what I was doing last night when
things broke.  The server  I help with is an hour away, 1.5 hours with
traffic, and it sits behind a firewall.

 From home I type this to log into the firewall box and forward VNC traffic

ssh -L 5900:IPADDRESSOFSERVER:5900 hosef at IPORHOSTNAMEOFFIREWALL

and on the Edubuntu 7.10 LTSP server I type this, with -auth, to start
the vnc server.

sudo x11vnc -auth /var/lib/gdm/:0.Xauth -shared -forever -display :0

-auth is apparently important if a user is not already logged in.

 From my workstation I launch a vncviewer and connect to localhost.  The
connection is securely tunneled across Oahu to the server in the
classroom.  I still get disconnected and have to restart x11vnc after
logging in, but it works.  I can then view client desktops, also using
x11vnc, with TCM.

--scott