Pulseaudio not starting on iMac client

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Sat Nov 10 15:52:51 GMT 2007

On my Bondi iMac pulseaudio doesn't start.  I've got the snd-powermac
module loaded and /dev/dsp exists and it will "beep" in both an xterm
session on the server and in a terminal session on the client -- but
that's not using Pulseaudio.

And "pa aux | grep pul" does not show it running.  If I run that on my
iBook then it does show pulseaudio running.

If I try and manually start pulseaudio on the client I see:

    root at ltsp:~# pulseaudio --system --disable-shm --no-cup-limit -n
    pic.c: stale PID file, overwriting.
    Aborted

I ran it with strace, but it doesn't seem to offer any help:

    http://hank.org/pulseaudio_strace.txt

Only:

--- SIGILL (Illegal instruction) @ 0 (0) ---

Again, it works on a G4 powerpc iBook, but not on the Bondi.

Should I try and build puleaudio from source?  (Not sure I want to go
through that experience on that old iMac.)

--
Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org