[edubuntu-users]

Gavin McCullagh gmccullagh at gmail.com
Wed May 23 09:16:46 BST 2007

Hi,

On Tue, 22 May 2007, Jason Sandlin wrote:

> My plan is to set up a server then use older donated computers for
> clients, hopefully reducing cost to a bear minimum. I have a meeting with
> a local Kindergarden soon to discuss the ideas.

I'm not a big advocacy person myself, but from a technical standpoint, you
should probably have a look at the handbook:

http://doc.ubuntu.com/edubuntu/handbook/C/

It might be of some help to look at this article which lists a bunch of
E-Books available on Ubuntu.

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/free-ubuntu-linux-e-books.html

> We, Alabama LoCo and Local LUG are planning on setting up the server
> somewhere local to test it's performance with different clients. The server
> will be a Dual 1.1gig server with 2 gig of ram.

If at all possible, getting a donation of a number of identical oldish pcs
(usually from a company) will save you time compared with ten pcs which are
all different.  It's just easier than working out the quirks of many
individual machines.

Our thin clients are a mixture of P1, P2 and P3s.  The most reliable are a
big bunch of compaq P3s we were donated.  We moreorless just tell them to
PXE boot and then deploy them.  The P1s cause the most hassle with extra
fiddling to get a video card to work, bios batteries dying, etc.