Gnome is almost freezing

Gavin McCullagh gmccullagh at gmail.com
Thu May 10 19:32:12 BST 2007

Hi,

On Thu, 10 May 2007, François BARILLON wrote:

> Le jeudi 10 mai 2007 à 18:22 +0200, Jonathan Carter a écrit :
> > Are you logging in as different users on the machines? I've seen
> > similar behavior when people log in as the same user on different
> > machines before.
>
> I don't think that's the problem.

Are you using the same user multiple times?  Gnome among other programs (eg
firefox) _really_ doesn't like that.  If you haven't created separate users
you should try that and see does it improve matters.

> the /opt system is running fine on the thin clients.
>
> but the / system is waiting waiting for ??? when running Gnome.

The system running on the thin clients is most likely not the problem.
However, when you login, you don't actually login to the thin client, you
login straight to the server.  If things are slow, chances are it's on the
server we need to look.

> > > I've been told to install kubuntu-destop and then edubuntu-desktop
> > > or switch gdm->kdm->gdm.

I doubt this will help.  Gnome and ldm work fine for lots of people.  In
fact the thin clients don't run the system display manager so that really
shouldn't help at all.

The error about things not starting could well be down to another gnome
session on the same profile.

If you're already using different users and that doesn't help, you should
open a terminal and type "top".  This program will list the processes using
most cpu time.  Hit q to quit it.