Help with shared folders

Jonathan Carter jonathan at ubuntu.com
Mon May 7 22:56:40 BST 2007

Hi Alcros

Alcros wrote:
> I'm trying to setup a couple of folders with edubuntu:
>
> /media/data/priv            should be available only to people on the
> "maestros" group
> /media/data/pub            should be available to every student
>
> The idea is that every user logged in from a thin client should have a
> "pub" folder on her desktop where she will find any file
> that I (as a teacher) copy to /media/data/pub
>
> Any pointers on how to do that?
> Should I use NFS or Samba ?

You don't really need NFS or Samba (unless you plan to export to fat
clients too), since the filesystem is technically mounted on the same
machine you're running your X session from.

You can create a symbolic link that would put the /media/data/pub folder
on all new user's desktops, in a terminal, you can:
$ sudo mkdir /etc/skel/Desktop
$ sudo ln -s /media/data/pub /etc/skel/Desktop/pub

Then all new users will get a "pub" folder icon on their desktop.

For access control, you will have to modify the permissions on the
"priv" and "pub" folders. You can get the current permissions and user
information from:
$ ls -l /media/data

You can set permissions using the chmod command, I'm not sure if this
link has too much information for you, but if you would like a more
complete understanding of permissions, see:
http://www.perlfect.com/articles/chmod.shtml

To create a group, you use addgroup:
$ sudo addgroup maestros

And to add a user to that group, you can use adduser:
$ sudo adduser alcros maestros

Ask if you get stuck!

-Jonathan
--