Edubuntu 7.04 login/session problem

Uwe Geercken uwe.geercken at datamelt.com
Wed May 2 11:22:42 BST 2007

hello friends,

I have installed edubuntu 7.04 from scratch on my dell 5150 laptop and I am
planning to use it as our "family-server". The connection thoughout the house
is made using devolo power adapters. I have a diskless thin client now to
connect to the edubuntu server.

my wife already uses edubuntu for quite a while (although she does not really
know). she is italian and basically uses the system reading emails and
reading/writing open-office documents and PDF files. as she is italian, I have
setup the old system in a way, that she has all her tools in italian. this
works well. in the old setup though, she was directly logging into the edubuntu
server.

the other members of the family - including me - where also using this machine
to login to the system.

again, this worked well, my wife would log in and gets her italian interface.
she logs out. I log in and get my german interface. then later she logs in and
gets her italian interface, without the need to switch anything.

now the situation is different. when I login, I get my german interface and when
she logs in she also gets the german interface, unless she specifies in the
login dialog, that she wants italian (it_IT.utf8).

can somebody tell me why this is the case?

thanks and regards,

uwe