problem with Italian language

Gavin McCullagh gmccullagh at gmail.com
Thu Jan 25 09:07:44 GMT 2007

Hi,

On Wed, 24 Jan 2007, Uwe Geercken wrote:

> thanks for zour response. I am writing this from the client that I boots
> from the ltsp server.
>
> carmela at server:~$ locale
> locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
> locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
> locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
> LANG=it_IT.UTF-8.UTF-8
<snip>

> here is the second part of the response. now I logged on to the server that
> serves ltsp, types "locale" and got the following response:
>
> carmela at server:~$ locale
> LANG=it_IT.UTF-8
<snip>

It seems strange that your thin client locales are all set to
"it_IT.UTF-8.UTF-8" which seems wrong and that locale apparently cannot be
found, but your direct server locale is it_IT.UTF-8

Looking in my copy of /opt/ltsp/i386/usr/sbin/ldm, I can see these lines
which might be at fault:

            # set language
            if lang != 'None':
                                lang_command = 'LC_ALL='+lang+'.UTF-8 LANGUAGE='+lang+'.UTF-8 LANG='+lang+'.UTF-8'
            else:
                lang_command = ''

Could you login at the client and then from a terminal run:

	ps aux | grep bash

You should get at least one line something like:

student   8537  0.0  0.0   4152  1612 ?        Ss   Jan24   0:00 bash --login -c env LTSP_CLIENT="ltsp" /etc/X11/Xsession ; kill -1 $PPID

though in your case there's probably some extra stuff about
"LC_ALL=it_IT.....".  Could you send us that output?

Thanks,