Installing kubuntu

David Caldwell dcaldwell at accessit.co.uk
Tue Feb 20 12:06:35 GMT 2007

Hi,

I couldn't see this issue in the archives, so I hope I'm not repeating another post...

I installed edubuntu without problem and can connect with a thin client with no problem (I had to add a hosts entry and alter dhcpd.conf, but not a lot else). I then wanted to install the KDE desktop so I did the following:

"sudo chroot /opt/ltsp/i386 apt-get install kubuntu-desktop"

and all seemed fine apart from some messages about not being able to find locale information during the setup of some KDE packages. I rebooted the server and then turned the client on and was greeted by the following errors just before the kubuntu logon box:

Message 1: "could not read network connection list." and a reference to "/root/.dcopserver_ltsp_0"
Message 2: "Could not write to configuration file /root/share/config/kdegreetrc" and the same for "/root/share/config/kdeglobals"
Message 3: same as message 1
Message 4: same as message 2

After these message, I am greeted by the kubuntu logon screen. However, whatever credentials I use, it tells me my logon is incorrect.

I've tried looking for clues in log files when the client starts but have not found anything useful.

Another thing I've noticed is that the new KDE session starts on terminal 9 and Gnome is still available and works fine on terminal 7.

Does anyone have any ideas about how to fix this?

Many thanks,

David.

______________________

David Caldwell
Access IT Limited
t: +44(0)1227 750555
f: +44(0)1227 750070
w: www.accessit.co.uk

Disclaimer: This message may only be read in context and with common sense.
If concerned by it or in doubt, please destroy it. If this message is not meant for you,
we have made a mistake and would appreciate your help. We promise that we mean
no offence and will endeavour to rectify our mistake.

Our full contact details can be found on www.accessit.co.uk