problems with graphics cards

David Van Assche dvanassche at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 14:29:55 GMT 2007

I've been running 7.10 Gutsy on 60 computers with a powerful 64 bit server
running on 6 Gigs of Ram (surprisingly little RAM is used) for a good 3
months now. I've read the reports of 7.10 being a failure and I have to
disagree on most accounts. If you don't modify too much and you know what
you are doing, things work wonderfully, with more speed, and better login
procedures than ever before. There is one area, though, which seems to have
gotten worse rather than better, and this is the attempt at auto detecting
all graphics cards and monitors. It simply does not work with older cards or
newer cards (50% of my cards needed to be hacked in the lts.conf file where
possible) or needed a special chroot (newer ati containing cards, since the
bundled ubuntu ati driver doesnt work.)
   My school has just bought a newish intel (x3200 gma) containing laptop
and surprise, no auto-detection under any circumstances. (yes I've tried 16
bit and 24 bit graphic modes in lts.conf)
   Another ati laptop they bought hangs on startup (thought it was due to
apic, but adding the necessary noapic stuff to grub doesnt help.)
   3 widescreen monitors (1440x900) will not startup in that resolution no
matter what I try...
So my question is, why o why did they take out xconfig? It is absolutely
essential to be able to hack the graphic cards and monitor options... and
with Gutsy it has become an almost impossible task. This was not an issue
with 7.04, so in some respects, I feel the disappointment that others
mention...
   Sadly, the only solution I see is making special chroots for all the
exceptions to the rule (auto-detection of the graphics card details)

David Van Assche