Update to gutsy giving X server problem

R. Scott Belford scott at hosef.org
Fri Dec 7 20:00:29 GMT 2007

Shishir Jha wrote:
> Hello,
> I was till now using edubuntu 7.04 for my ltsp server but after going
> through the recent reviews about 7.10 i thought of switching to it. Well
> firstly the upgrade process was smooth, but then trouble, none of my
> clients X server boot. They just do not boot. Just to make sure that all
> was right i specifically tried i810 as xserver for the clients in the
> /var/lib/tftpboot folder as instructed, still no X server after
> restarts. So I tried vesa, and well it works in Vesa.
> So, what suprises me is, why a perfectly working client in 7.04 has no
> Xserver display in 7.10. Just so that you know the clients uses i810
> chips, and are old PIII(reused), using i810 in feisty.
> Any help in this matter will be a great support for me, else i will
> revert back to 7.04 until any solution else than VESA comes out.

It seems in so many ways that 7.10 is a debacle.  There, I said it.
Were there *any* production labs using a mixture of older clients that
successfully tested the upgrade procedure from 7.04 to 7.10 *before* the
release?  If not, are there *any* production labs actively participating
in the bug squashing for the next release so that these problems never
happen again?  I am personally offering myself to help, but I am not
sure if any of the developers are actually on this list.

In answer to your question, most likely your clients cannot handle the
32 bit color depth which is the *default* for 7.10.  This seems to hose
nearly everyone expecting their old stuff to 'just work'.  I would
suggest creating a lts.conf file with these settings and then reboot the
clients.  They work for me, but only after a lot of pain.

more /var/lib/tftpboot/ltsp/i386/lts.conf

[default]
     X_COLOR_DEPTH=16
     LDM_DIRECTX=True
     X_MODE_0=1024x768
     LOCALDEV=True
     SOUND=True
     NBD_SWAP=True
     SYSLOG_HOST=server

> Thank You, and hope you can enlighten me with the part that i am missing.
>
> --
> Shishir Jha
> EPC 1970,GPO 8975,
> KTM,NEPAL