pulseaudio: volume control ?

Philipp Hanselmann philipp at schoolnet.na
Fri Aug 31 09:37:10 BST 2007

Gavin McCullagh schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 28 Aug 2007, David Trask wrote:
>

>> yeah, but it still ain't loud enough.....somehow I need to get the "base"
>> volume up higher.  With LTSP 4 I was able to boost the volume in lts.conf
>> by cranking the value up near 100 or more.
>>

> A very wild guess, not tested on a thin client, but it's happened me on a
> desktop.
>
>  - if you double click on the sound icon in the tray, the volume control
>    center should pop up.
>  - try raising each of the tracks which are visible (Master, PCM seem the
>    most likely)
>  - if you don't get any joy then click edit->preferences you may see a
>    bunch of tracks which are not visible and which you can check to turn
>    on.
>
>  - if the above doesn't help, login to the thin client text console and run
>    alsamixer.
>
> These aren't solutions, but if you can get to the point of knowing why the
> volume is low, then perhaps we can work on a more automatic way to fix it.
>
> Gavin

Ok I managed to use the volume slider on the gnome desktop (applet
name:mixer_applet2)

1.) Login on the thin client.
2.) Right click on the volume icon.
3.) Choose /Open Volume Control/
4.) Select the Line: /Playback ...[PulseAudio Mixer]/

After that I can adjust the MASTER volume.
I was trying to find a automatic way to set this mixer at user login,
but up to know no success on that.

I also noticed that this settings get lost, if the user logs in on the
server and on the client again.

I also tested the same on a fresh installed Feisty and noticed the same
behavior.

Philipp

NOTE: Still this doesn't solve the issue that I can adjust directly the
sound hardware volume. For that you have to do shell login (CTRL-ALT-F1)
as root and start alsamixer from there. This must be done after every
client reboot (:-(.)

--
SchoolNet NA - Youth Empowerment through Information and Communication Technology

SchoolNet Namibia provides sustainable, low cost technology solutions and internet access, as well as technical support, training services and rich educational content to schools, community-based educational organisations, and educational practitioners throughout Namibia.

www.schoolnet.na

toll free number: 0800 005793

Philipp Hanselmann
philipp at schoolnet.na