pulseaudio: volume control ?

Philipp Hanselmann philipp at schoolnet.na
Wed Aug 29 08:47:57 BST 2007

Gavin McCullagh schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 28 Aug 2007, David Trask wrote:
>

>> yeah, but it still ain't loud enough.....somehow I need to get the "base"
>> volume up higher.  With LTSP 4 I was able to boost the volume in lts.conf
>> by cranking the value up near 100 or more.
>>

> A very wild guess, not tested on a thin client, but it's happened me on a
> desktop.
>
>  - if you double click on the sound icon in the tray, the volume control
>    center should pop up.
>  - try raising each of the tracks which are visible (Master, PCM seem the
>    most likely)
>  - if you don't get any joy then click edit->preferences you may see a
>    bunch of tracks which are not visible and which you can check to turn
>    on.
>
>  - if the above doesn't help, login to the thin client text console and run
>    alsamixer.
>
> These aren't solutions, but if you can get to the point of knowing why the
> volume is low, then perhaps we can work on a more automatic way to fix it.
>
> Gavin

On the server the volume control is working, but
I can't use the volume control on the thin clients (feisty installation, with some add multimedia progs)

Meanwhile I managed to increase the sound level on the thin clients. For that I used he command amixer.

I did the following steps:

1.) SETUP THE MASTER VOLUME INSIDE OF THE USER SESSION:

1.1) replace the file /etc/X11/Xsession.d/80_ltsp-sound with:

<snip>
#/bin/bash
THINCLINET_MASTER_VOLUME_LOCAL='85'
echo "if [ -n \"\$LTSP_CLIENT\" ] ; then
	/usr/bin/asoundconf set-pulseaudio
	/usr/bin/amixer set Master ${THINCLINET_MASTER_VOLUME_LOCAL}% || true
else
	if ! type pulseaudio >/dev/null 2>&1 ; then
		/usr/bin/asoundconf unset-pulseaudio
	fi
fi
</snip>

This script also solve this bug: * https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/105709
*

2.) SETUP THE MASTER VOLUME DURING THE BOOT PHASE OF A THIN CLIENT:

2.1) Save the following file to /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/rc.setup_localsound

<snip>
#!/bin/bash
THINCLIENT_MASTER_VOLUME='90'

[ ! -c /dev/dsp ] && echo "Can't find sound card, /dev/dsp is missing. Continuing."
amixer set Master ${THINCLIENT_MASTER_VOLUME}% || true
</snip>

2.2) give the right permissions
chmod 755 /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/rc.setup_localsound

2.3) add this line to /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/lts.conf
RCFILE_01 = "/etc/rc.setup_localsound"  *
*

Until now, this lines works for me, but I am still curious why the volume control on the gnome panel, doesn't work if you are using a thin client? Any answer on this?

Philipp

--
SchoolNet NA - Youth Empowerment through Information and Communication Technology

SchoolNet Namibia provides sustainable, low cost technology solutions and internet access, as well as technical support, training services and rich educational content to schools, community-based educational organisations, and educational practitioners throughout Namibia.

www.schoolnet.na