New server advice - quad core any special settings needed?

Krsnendu dasa krsnendu108 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 19:39:06 BST 2007

On 29/08/2007, Gavin McCullagh <gmccullagh at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 29 Aug 2007, Krsnendu dasa wrote:
>
> > I'll be starting with 4 GB of RAM, (possibly increasing it in future.)
> Which
> > kernel should I use?
>
> As 32-bit machines usually address memory on a 32-bit address space, if
> you
> have more than 2^32 bits of memory (about 4GB), you run out of addresses
> and can't use the remaining RAM.  Actually, PCI devices must also be
> mapped
> into the 32-bit address space which usually leaves you with more like
> 3-3.5GB).
>
> If you're using a 32-bit kernel, you can either use:
>
>   - the -generic- which will usually use a little over 3GB (4GB minus some
>     address space used by the pci devices)
>
>   - the -server-  which should use the full memory (using PAE), but at
> some
>     processing cost
>         http://www.spack.org/wiki/LinuxRamLimits
>
> If you use a 64-bit kernel, just using the standard -generic- kernel will
> allow you to address 2^64 bytes, so you don't need to worry about memory
> limits.  The only thing is that fully 64-bit systems are relatively new
> and
> still have some issues, usually with proprietary software (eg. there is no
> adobe flash plugin or acrobat reader for 64-bit).  You can if you wish do
> more complex things to run 32-bit apps on a 64-bit system.
>
>         https://help.ubuntu.com/community/32bit_and_64bit
>         http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=616&num=1
>
> I'm not sure what the issues are with WINE and 64-bit but it seems likely
> a 32-bit windows app will need to run in 32-bit mode on linux.
>
> Gavin

I have a 64 bit system at home and I got flash going. I got stuck installing
Freenx.

In general I think it will be more straightforward to use 32 bit.
I think the easiest way to start will be to start with the generic kernel
and monitor the memory usage. Tips for how to monitor RAM usage would be
appreciated.
If we need more than 4GB we can use a different kernel.  -server or maybe 64
bit?