Sharing the experience for set up printer in thin client of Edubuntu 7.04

Dean Mumby dean at mumby.co.za
Thu Aug 23 11:20:51 BST 2007

On Mon, 2007-08-06 at 02:29 -0700, Ferri naldi wrote:
> then type in the MAC ADDRESS
> of the workstation you noted earlier, the example
> format is like this [00:11:25:84:CE:BA] , and press
> enter one time so your cursor move 1 line then type
> PRINTER_0_DEVICE=/dev/usblp0. Save it. We all can read
> the detail about editing the lts.conf in
> http://doc.ubuntu.com/edubuntu/handbook/C/ltsp-client.html
> Now, setting up the printer driver. Open menu System -
> menu Administration - menu Printing. Click on New
> Printer, in will launch gnome-cups-something :), it
> will take a while, then it will display some
> configuration menu. Choose Network Printer, and then
> in the right Choose TCP/SOCKET,HP JET DIRECT,RAW
> CONNECTION from 4 option listed. In the middle there
> are HOME Text Box and PORT text Box. The PORT has been
> filled with 9100, we fill the HOME part, with IP
> ADDRESS of printer workstation that we noted earlier,
> for example is something like 192.168.0.244. Click
> forward, Choose the manufacturer, model and driver of
> the printer, for me it's Epson, Stylus C45,
> gutenprint(simple). Than forward again, then OK. The
> icon of your printer will be displayed in Printer
> windows (where icon/menu New Printer existed). Logout
> form the Server, restart. When the Server ready, turn
> on the workstation of the printer again, login, when
> the thin clien already display edubuntu environment
> then try the printing through the printer you setup
> before, first from the computer server, then if it's
> okay (success), try from the workstation of the
> printer, sometimes at first I have to reboot the
> workstation one time, but after that every time I turn
> on the workstation it automatically prints. Then try
> another workstation to do printing to the printer
> workstation. Well, it works up until now. I hope if
> anyone try this it will be successfull too, if we are
> going to use Paralel Printer not USB then change the
> line in lts.conf of PRINTER_0_DEVICE=/dev/usblp0 to
> PRINTER_0_DEVICE=/dev/lp0

I was very excited when I first saw this post as this is a feature that
I use with my current K12LTSP setup , I tried dlink print servers but
found that using my HP t5000 was more reliable , I am now half way
through moving to my new premises and have migrated to an ubuntu ltsp
and although this feature works for the first print job , immediately
afterwards port 9100 is no longer available. which means I have to
reboot the thin clients and then they print a page and reboot again.
This is not a solution , so I was hoping someone else may have seen the
same thing.

Regards
dean