Edubuntu and Canonical in Russia

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Mon Aug 20 07:44:41 BST 2007

Anton Shaleyev wrote:
> Hello!
> May be you know that the Russian Federation is a country with great
> number of non-legal Microsoft Windows users. In nowadays Microsoft
> with our government is searching for users without license. The first
> have condemned the principal of public school in Altay (Ponosov).
> This is a one of reasons why a lot of users (commercial and private)
> choose Linux. But in our country GPL is not legal without a
> representative of legal owner.
> I think the Edubuntu is the excellent OS for Education, in the any way
> better and more cheaply than Windows Vista. But without representative
> of Canonical we cannot use it in our educational process.
> Now Russian government is looking for the OS which will satisfied all
> Russian education standards for High and Middle ( like USA K12)
> education.
> Today 3 legal candidates for this system: Microsoft, ALTLinux and
> Mandriva. First and last have representatives in Russia. ALTLinux is
> Russian firm.
> Why Canonical is not interesting in the Russian governmental customer?
> And how it is possible to eliminate license problems with GPL in Russia?

What is the Software Representative's responsibility in the Russian
Federation?

Many GPL items are 'owned' by the people who write them, and not by
companies.

Many people often join together to write GPL software, so it is
usually owned by the people, not a Company.

A Company (any company) may usually sell and distribute the software
but the Company does not own the software. The Company also then does
not have responsibility for the contents of the software. this is not
like a manufactured product.
--
alan cocks
Kubuntu user#10391