Student Control Panel Mods/Suggestions

Scott Balneaves sbalneav at legalaid.mb.ca
Fri Aug 3 16:58:25 BST 2007

On Fri, Aug 03, 2007 at 09:41:08AM +0100, Gavin McCullagh wrote:

> Fair enough.  I sort of thought it would be good to maintain thin
> client-specific settings together in one location (lts.conf) but if you
> think assigning default printers is going too far then I guess using the
> arp table is reasonable enough.

Well, my overall concern is that LTSP seems to keep having to solve problems,
which really are caused by shortcomings in other software packages, mainly
induced by their assumption that they're running on a fat client.

I'm not saying it CAN'T or SHOULDN'T be part of the LTSP packages, but I have
to wonder out loud: how long will other software authors continue to
ignore the fact that a large percentage of their software's used in a thin
client environment?  If they'd take more of this sort of thing into account,
life would be better.

By way of a practical example: why do we have to maintain jetpipe?  Why doesn't
cups come shipped with a nice, thin, printer endpoint that, as part of it's
protocol, manage where it's connected to , and integrate properly, and
effortlessly, one assumes, into the cups infrastructure?

Perhaps I'm just grousing. :)

Scott

--
Scott L. Balneaves | "Eternity is a very long time,
Systems Department |  especially towards the end."