Problem setting up RAID/LVM at installation

Denis Melnikov dmelnik at regent.ru
Tue Apr 17 09:28:15 BST 2007

Gavin, thank you for substantial answer.

> > To transform Ubuntu into Edubuntu I inserted Edubuntu 6.10 Disk
> > and:
> >
> > $ apt-cdrom add
> > $ aptitude install edubuntu-desktop (by the way, is it enough?)
>
> Edubuntu-desktop should add the extra software and packages
> to give you a
> desktop edubuntu system.  Depending on whether you want
> Edubuntu as a thin
> client server, you may need to install the package
> edubuntu-server and do
> 	sudo ltsp-build-client

By the way, will X desktop start automatically after installing
these packages?

> > aptitude copied packages from the CD and then asked to insert
> > Ubuntu CD. After I'd inserted the CD and pressed <Enter>,
> > aptitude aborted with segmentation fault. Now I can neither
> > `aptitude remove` nor repeat the installation.

I forgot to mention that I'd inserted the Ubuntu Alternate CD
used for installation. May it be the matter?

> Ouch.  That's odd.  What error do you get when you try these?

I can't reproduce the error now since I'm far from the server.
But it catched on edubuntu-artworks and slocate packages,
and a keyword was 'diverse' (or 'disperse' - sorry for my weak
memore).

> > How can I revert the system state back to the one just after
> > `apt-cdrom add`?
>
> Having done the above, I think you should be able to do
>
> 	sudo aptitude remove edubuntu-desktop
> 	sudo aptitude autoremove

I tried both, no success.

> > Whether Edubuntu developers are here, why there is no
> > Edubuntu Alternate CD? We've got [k|x]ubuntu-alternate but
> > no edubuntu. Why?
>
> I can't give you an answer on this.  However, reliability
> issues such as
> software RAID among others will hopefully be discussed at the
> next Ubuntu
> Education Summit in the meeting "Making Edubuntu More Fault Tolerant /
> Recoverable".  If you have something to add you can either
> come along if
> possible or mention it here and I'll be there to pass on your
> thoughts.

I think RAID(1,5) is a must for a server engaged in education.
Moreover, provided a server has two or more disks the installer
must suggest to configure softRAID and of course LVM
(regardless of quantity of disks).
In addition, as Edubuntu intended for education it should
educate from the very beginning, i.e. installation. I myself
had first known of LVM when installing ScientificLinux (RedHat
derivative).

Denis